The sudden announcement that nearly half of the flu vaccine scheduled to be dispensed in the United States over the next few months is potentially contaminated and cannot be used has thrown many people into a panic. Lines are forming early by those who want to be sure they are not left out.
But there are other ways than immunization to boost your immunity against the flu and other infectious diseases. To mention only a few:
- Keep an eye on your weight, fitness, and stress. When these are at optimum levels, you are much less likely to succumb to infectious diseases.
- Drink lots of clean, fresh, filtered water. A half gallon a day is the bare minimum for most people. In addition to hydration, the water helps to keep your mucous membranes moist enough to fight off any viruses they encounter.
- Eat lots of organically grown fresh fruit and vegetables. The antioxidants and phytochemicals are great boosts to the immune system.
- Breathe clean air. Walk outside daily, preferably during daylight hours. Sleep with an air purifier in your bedroom. The clean air and sunshine will assist your body to purge itself of toxins.
- Avoid eating unhealthy fats, such as animal fat, shortening and other hydrogenated vegetable oils, as well as polyunsaturated vegetable oils. These fats induce inflammation and stress out your immune system.
- Try eating exotic edible mushrooms such as shiitake, oyster, enoki, maitake, and reishi. According to Dr. Andrew Weil, these mushrooms contain immune-system strengthening polysaccharides.
- Take a high-quality multiple vitamin, along with selected herbs known for their antiviral and immune-system boosting properties (such as astragalus).
Coaching Inquiries: Are you prepared for another flu season? How can you improve your nutrition, fitness, and stress levels? What’s one thing that you start doing today?
To reply to this Pathway, use our Feedback Form. To learn more about our Wellness Coaching programs and to arrange for a complimentary wellness coaching session, use our Contact Form or Email Bob.
May you be filled with goodness, peace, and joy.
President, LifeTrek Coaching International, www.LifeTrekCoaching.com
CEO & Co-Founder, Center for School Transformation, www.SchoolTransformation.com
2010-2011 President, International Association of Coaching, www.CertifiedCoach.org
Address: 121 Will Scarlet Lane, Williamsburg, VA 23185-5043
Phone: (757) 345-3452
Fax: (772) 382-3258
Subscribe/Unsubscribe: Subscriber Services